Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

no more windows

I don’t mind my job, though it is a job. The people I work with day to day are all pretty nice, nicer I think on average than some of the more bourgeois scenes I’ve existed in in the past. Sure the bosses are bosses but what are you going to do?
  
Really my biggest complaint (besides a faceless corporation stealing the value of my coworkers’ and my labor) is that there are absolutely no windows anywhere. I come in in the morning and scarcely see the outdoors until that afternoon or evening. Sometimes I envy the cart attendant who gets to go out to the parking lot every so often. I'd gladly help someone carry their new TV to their car or wrestle 1,000 shopping carts for a breath of fresh air. This envy reaches a peak on some of those sunny spring afternoons we've started to see lately, though I suspect the day to day of rainy winters would probably bring me around to reality before long.
  
So it felt like a small defeat when one of the few concrete anti corona actions the store took was to close the seating area of the coffee shop hosted near the entrance. Probably the credential of my official name badge would be enough to get me past the vigilant eyes of the baristas and  around the less than formidable rope blocking off the area but the large wrap around, floor to ceiling windows have been curtained to make the area as unappealing to the customers as possible.
  
I understand why closing the dining area was done and I get that restaurants all over our city are moving to take out only but being able to sit here for my 15 minute break is one less small stress release available to us workers during a stressful time...

No comments:

Post a Comment